Breaking Down The Divorce Process In Illinois
Deciding to end your marriage is difficult enough. Navigating the divorce process in Illinois can be even more challenging, especially without the aid of an experienced lawyer. Here’s a simple breakdown of how the divorce process works and what you can expect.
- If you fulfill the Illinois residency requirement of 90 days, the court can enter a divorce judgment.
- Illinois has “no-fault” divorce. A couple can file for a divorce citing “irreconcilable differences.”
- Divorces can be both contested and uncontested. An uncontested divorce will proceed much faster, though this can be more difficult for couples with children or significant assets.
- You will need to settle major divorce issues, including child-related issues such as the allocation of significant decision-making responsibility (formerly referred to as child custody) and parenting plans. Questions surrounding marital property and debts will also need to be resolved, as well as issues regarding spousal support.
- The timing of your divorce will vary. Some couples may be able to file a Joint Simplified Dissolution of Marriage form that can speed up the process considerably. There are several factors that need to be met, however, some of which include:
- You must have been married for less than eight years
- You have no children together
- Your joint income must be less than $60,000 and neither parent may have income over $30,000
- You own no real estate
Whatever your situation, it’s always a good idea to consult a lawyer with knowledge of the family law issues you’re facing. Divorces are never simple, even when spouses agree on the majority of issues. I can help you explore your options and present your case in the best possible light.
Questions Surrounding Divorce Planning? Your Experienced Family Law Attorney Is Just A Phone Call Away.
I have more than 25 years of experience in the courtroom, and I work with clients throughout Lake County, including Libertyville, as they strive to settle their family law issues. Contact me today for an free initial consultation. Call my Bannockburn office at 847-908-3955.