Integrity. Honesty. Resolve.Representing Individuals and Families.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Uncategorized
  4.  » Help is available for those seeking a child support modification

Help is available for those seeking a child support modification

On Behalf of | Dec 16, 2021 | Uncategorized |

Children in Illinois depend on the support of both of their parents, both emotionally and financially. Of course, it costs money to raise a child in a healthy and supportive environment. For the benefit of the child, when the child’s parents are no longer in a relationship with each other, either due to divorce or a break-up, the noncustodial parent will usually be ordered to pay child support.

Of course, life rarely stays the same. As time marches on, one’s life circumstances will change. Sometimes these changes necessitate a modification of an existing child support order. For example, the paying parent may have lost his or her job, or conversely, may have obtained a higher-paying position, resulting in an income change. There may have been a change to the existing parenting plan, wherein the paying parent is spending more time with the child. Also, a child’s needs may change as he or she grows, necessitating a modification of an existing child support order.

Child support should be paid in an amount that is both beneficial to the child, but doesn’t overreach and drain the paying parent. However, seeking a child support modification takes legal knowledge. It is important that any changes made are fair and appropriate. Therefore, those who wish to modify an existing child support order may want to consult with a family law attorney.

For example, the legal team at the Law Offices of Dwayne Douglas, P.C., has been assisting families in Northern Illinois since 1991. He helps his clients understand how the state’s child support formula works, and how, if necessary, modifications can be made to an existing order. The firm’s child support webpage may be a good starting point for those who have more questions about modifying an existing order of child support.