Law Offices of Dwayne Douglas, P.C.
Call Us Today at:

How do you request a child custody modification?

As parents like you know, child custody modifications made during one point in your life aren't always going to be good for other points in your life. In Illinois, there is the possibility for you to modify a child custody arrangement after it has been made. However, there are some important things to know first.

FindLaw takes a look at how child custody modifications can be made, and there are two primary options: through hearing, and through agreement. Hearing is the more complex of the two, but this is what you'll need to do if you and your ex-partner can't agree on terms, or even on whether a modification needs to be made in the first place.

You will first need to submit a request for modification, explaining in the paperwork why you believe it's necessary. Then, you need to provide proof backing up said reasons, and showing that circumstances have indeed changed. Finally, you will likely need to go through mediation with your ex-partner. Together with a mediator, you will try to reach an agreement. If one can be made, you'll submit a proposal to the court. If one can't be made, the mediator will propose what they think should be done based on their time with you.

Agreements are much easier. If you and your ex-partner both agree that changes need to be made, and can agree on said changes, all you need to do is submit the proposal to the court. From there, they will usually approve it. If you think either of these options are for you, you can speak with an attorney for more information.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Reach Out Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

Law Offices of Dwayne Douglas, P.C.
900 North Shore Drive Suite 185
Lake Bluff, IL 60044

Phone: 847-908-3955
Map & Directions